Girlguiding Middlesex East is one of the organisations to benefit from the Jack Petchey Foundation, with a number of girls (14+) and Leaders being nominated for awards each year. We joined the scheme in 2006 and currently recognise the achievements of some 60 Youth members aged 11 – 25 and up to 10 adults for exceptional motivation of the 11 – 25 year age group each year.
The Award Holders receive a certificate, badge, congratulations letter and a medallion at the Annual awards presentation evening. The Achievement Award Scheme grant of £250 is designed to give the winner the opportunity to make a financial contribution to their organisation.
Ideas for spending
It can be difficult to find inspiration on how to spend the £250 grant. Here are some ideas from our county Jack Petchey Co-ordinator, Iris Prince:
- Buying equipment for a specific activity, e.g. Games consoles, art materials, table tennis table, digital camera.
- Hiring in a specialist worker for a session, e.g. theatre artist, fitness coach, guest speaker
- Arranging a special trip for the group, e.g. day out, museum visit, bowling, theatre, cinema, theme park
- Holding your own celebration event or making your regular end of term party go with more of a swing!
- Holding an event for a local community group which is run by your young people, e.g. a concert at a hospice, a play for a retirement home, a fundraising event for a registered charity etc.
- Training courses for young people that will ultimately benefit all the young people in the organisation.
You can find out more about the Foundation at www.jackpetcheyfoundation.org.uk